Friday, May 27, 2005

I am not a relationship counselor!

I really like my friends. I do. Or I wouldn't hang out with them. But talking to one this afternoon has gotten me really frustrated. Her and her partner seem to have quite a few issues to work through. But I can only offer advice, say what has worked for me and my partner. However, I'm not a professional counselor. I can't help them with their relationship beyond being a friend.

My partner K and I have learned quite a few things. Give each other space. Talk a lot. Don't leave things unsaid. Let each other do our own thing, but come back and talk about it. Don't be too clingy. And did I mention communicate? I don't own him and he doesn't own me. We know this and don't try to monopolize each other.

We have each developed our own interests, but still have some we do together. I value my time alone, but I also value my time with him. We've become comfortable making separate plans, but still do lots together. Prime example: more often than not I go to the club without him, especially since he started his new job this week. So last night I went to be with friends and he went to see his girl. It's all good.

No comments: